If you own a home, you want to be sure to obtain the 4% assessment rate if you live in the home and claim it as your legal residence. Otherwise, your tax rate will be 6%. To obtain the lower rate, you will need to complete an application with the County Assessor You will also need the necessary documents stated on the application. Normally driver’s license and vehicle registration are sufficient. This should be done as soon as you move into your home, but may be filed any time before January 15, when taxes are due. Once you have filed this application, you will not need to complete another one, unless there is a deed name change, or use of the property changes. Call 803-637-4066 for information.


For all homeowners - Each homeowner is allowed an exemption up to $100,000 of the home's fair market value from property taxes for school operating costs based on the 1995 millage (81.8). This exemption applies only to your legal residence, not to second homes, vacation homes or rental homes. No application is needed for this exemption; it will automatically be reflected in your tax bill.

Homestead exemption - If as of December 31 preceding the tax year of the exemption you were 65 years of age or older, or if you were totally disabled or legally blind, and lived in South Carolina for at least one year as of December 31, you may qualify for the homestead exemption. The homestead exemption excludes the first $50,000 from the fair market value of your legal residence. Legal residency must have been granted on this property also. Application for the homestead exemption should be made at the County Auditor's office Call 803-637-4045 for information.

For certain military veterans that are 100% disabled service connected, or law enforcement officers and servicemen killed in the line of duty, paraplegics, quadriplegics and hemiplegics - A house and one acre of land dependent upon the one acre which the house is located is exempt from property tax for veterans who are totally disabled from a service-related disability or for their surviving spouse, for the surviving spouse of a military person or law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty, and for paraplegics, hemiplegics, quadriplegics or their surviving spouses. Application should be made through the South Carolina Department of Revenue Call 803-898-5482 for information.