Welcome to the Meriwether County Assessors Office Web Site!
Meriwether County Tax Assessors Office
Personal Property Appraiser
Board of Assessors:
Greg Hobbs, Chairman
Welcome to the Meriwether County Tax Assessors website. Our goal is to annually appraise at fair market value all tangible real and personal property located in Meriwether County by utilizing uniform methods and procedures to equally distribute the tax burden among our taxpayers. As a public service, we offer this web site to provide a wealth of information on any property in Meriwether County. Our information is for tax purposes only and not legally binding. We will strive to provide as accurate and up to date information as possible. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions on how this site can better serve you.
The information contained herein reflects the values established in the "most current published" tax digest. Please note that the Assessors Office establishes values only. The Meriwether County Tax Commissioner should be contacted with tax bill related questions.
Meriwether County was created in 1827, the 73rd County created. The County was named for General David Meriwether,
a state militiaman often called on by the federal government to negotiate with the Indians. General Meriwether served in
the Revolutionary War, and was a state legislator and a member of congress..
The first courthouse in Meriwether County was destroyed in 1893 by a cyclone.
The county seat is Greenville, named for Revolutionary war hero General Nathaniel Greene.
City of Warm Springs
Warm Springs is the site of President Roosevelt's "Little White House." The historic site, operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources,
draws over 100,000 visitors annually. The warm springs pools used by Roosevelt and others in the 1930s and 1940s have been renovated.
The springs' waters stay naturally at 90 degrees, and were used by Indians as a healing spring and later as a spa for white settlers. More recently, Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as other polio victims, have benefited from the therapeutic water. The Warm Springs Foundation opened its doors to people suffering from other types of crippling disease and conditions after the invention of the polio vaccination.
The Red Oak Creek flows through Meriwether County into the Flint River. It is named for the beautiful red oak trees that grow in this area.
The Chattahooche-Flint Highway, a scenic highway, runs through Coweta, Troup and Meriwether counties.
City of Woodbury
Woodbury is one of the oldest cities in Meriwether County. It grew up about ten miles southeast of Greenville in the late
1820's. It was first named Sandtown for the white sand that covered the ground. When the post office opened in 1845, the
P.O. department changed the name to Woodberry. By 1854, the spelling was officially changed to Woodbury. The small town of Woodbury hit a growth spurt in 1887 when the railroad laid its tracks and made its mark. Around the turn of the century, Woodbury had tremendous growth with schools, churches, and businesses serving the many new residents.