GUIDELINES FOR AGRICULTURAL OPERATIONS
HAMILTON COUNTY FLORIDA
Application for Agricultural Assessment must be made between January 1 and March 1.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
AGRICULTURE CLASSIFICATION FORM
AND ADDITIONALLY REQUIRED INFORMATION FORM
While an agricultural operation must operate with the expectation of profit, it does not have to be operated at a profit every year to be bona fide. Evidence of income that the property is producing along with care given and management practices are all relevant. Management practices implemented to initiate or maintain an agricultural enterprise are crucial in determining whether agricultural assessment will be granted.
FACTUAL DETERMINATIONS TO CONSIDER
1. Is the property located in a rural area?
2. Has the operation of this agricultural enterprise been continuous?
3. Is there evidence to establish a bona fide effort by the property owner to sufficiently and adequately care for the land in a commercial, agricultural manner?
4. Has there been a true effort to have the property contribute to the agricultural economy of the county on either a short or long-term basis proportionate to the size of the property?
5. Minimum acres, minimum operations levels, and land rentals for various agricultural operations in Hamilton County are used in setting guidelines for making these determinations.